- Family Law
- Pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements
- Child custody
- Spousal and child support
- Property division
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 2006
- Stanford University, B.A., 2002
Certified Legal Specialties
- Family Law, The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, 2017
Joseph L. Urbanski is a partner at Johnson, Kinney & Zulaica LLP where he manages the firm’s family law practice group. His practice focuses on marital/domestic partnership dissolution, property division, child custody and visitation, and child and spousal support. Joseph has also worked with clients experiencing domestic violence. He has extensive experience drafting and reviewing relationship agreements including pre-nuptial/pre-registration, marital, and property agreements and has successfully represented clients from preliminary negotiations through trial. He practices with an eye toward resolution, not escalation.
Joseph graduated from Stanford University in 2002 and received his law degree in 2006 from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. While in law school, he was a member of the Communications Law Journal, Hastings Civil Justice Individual Representation Clinic, and General Assistance Advocacy Project (GAAP). He received the Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Civil Appellate Advocacy and earned Best Brief Award in Appellate Advocacy.
Since graduating law school, Joseph has served the Board of Directors for the General Assistance Advocacy Project (GAAP), Stanford Pride, and San Francisco AIDS Foundation. He regularly volunteers as a member of the Stanford Alumni Mentoring network, the Openhouse, a non-profit organization providing housing, services, and care for LGBTQ seniors, and the San Francisco-Marin Food Bank. He is a member of the State Board of California, SFTLA, and BALIF and is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court, Northern and Eastern Districts of California.
Joseph is certified as a specialist in Family Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He has been selected as a Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star from 2016-2019, and he was selected to Super Lawyers in 2020.
- California, 2006
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016-2019
- Northern California Super Lawyers, 2020
- State Bar of California, Member
- SFTLA, Member
- BALIF, Member
- CLA, Family Law Section, Member
Speaking Engagements and Articles
- When Death and Divorce Collide, BASF, 2020
- When Death and Divorce Collide, State Bar, 2020
- Estate Planning for LBGTQ Community and Unmarried Families, East Bay EPC, 2020
- San Francisco AIDS Foundation, Board of Directors
- Stanford Alumni Mentoring network, Volunteer
- Openhouse, Member
- General Assistance Advocacy Project (GAAP), Board of Directors
- Stanford Pride, Board of Directors