Karena A. Young
- Estate Planning - Domestic and International
- Trust Administration
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- Golden Gate University School of Law, LL.M.
- Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law, California State Bar, 2018
Yulissa Zulaica is a Partner at Johnston, Kinney & Zulaica LLP. Her estate planning practice includes representing high net worth clients and cross-border issues in estate planning. She has also served as an expert witness in matters relating to international planning. In addition, Yulissa has extensive experience with probate and trust administration and litigation, and she represents clients in court on contested and uncontested matters. Yulissa is a frequent speaker on topics related to estate and probate matters, including wealth transfer strategies and tax planning.
Yulissa has contributed to various publications for Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB). She is a member of the State Bar of California and the Trusts and Estates Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco. She has been named a Northern California Super Lawyer since 2017. She earned two B.A.s from the University of California, Berkeley and her J.D. and L.L.M. in Tax from Golden Gate University.
Yulissa has been an advocate in the community for most of her life. Over the years she has dedicated her free time with many organizations, including but not limited to the Volunteer Legal Services program of the San Francisco Bar Association, the Latino Community Foundation, and the Women’s Cancer Resource Center and various political campaigns. She also served of the Board of San Francisco La Raza Lawyers Association, Bay Area Latino Lawyers Fund and Thousand Currents.
Yulissa currently lives in the East Bay with her husband, two children and her dog.
- California, 2011
- Northern California Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners - TEP designation
- The Bar Association of San Francisco
Speaking Engagements and Articles
- California Domestic Partnerships and Same Sex Marriage, CEB
- Funding Trusts, CEB, 2018
- Latina Giving Circle (Latino Community Foundation), Present
Classes & Seminars
- Planning for International Clients - What Estate Planners Should Know About the Mobile Client – Bar Association of San Francisco, 2020
- Planning for International Clients - What Financial Planners Should Know About the Mobile Client – FPA NorCal Conference, 2020
- As if Divorce Was Your Biggest Problem - What Happens When Someone Dies in the Middle of a Divorce Proceeding, The Bar Association of San Francisco and California State Bar, 2020
- How to Value, Prepare and Sell Real Estate and Minority Interest, The Bar Association of San Francisco, 2019
- Revocable Trusts: A Versatile Tool for Every Occasion, National Business Institute, 2017
- Irrevocable Trusts: Tax Savings and Asset Protection, National Business Institute, 2017
- Marshalling/Valuing Assets, Probate Boot Camp, 2017
- Probate Proceedings and Trust Administration, Stanford Investment Group, 2016
- Trusts 101, National Business Institute, 2015
- Selecting a Trustee, San Francisco Parks Alliance, 2015
- The Afterlife of Wills and Living Trusts: Probate, Trust Administration and the backend of Estate Planning, Cypress Lawn Seminar, 2015
- Probate Process from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2015
- Selecting a Trustee for Your Living Trusts, Cypress Lawn Seminar, 2015
- Speaker, Morgan Stanley, 2014
- Foundational Estate Planning, Cypress Lawn Seminar, 2014
- Foundational Estate Planning & Tax Consideration, HSBC Seminar, 2014
- Foundational Estate Planning, Farmers Insurance Class, 2014
- Grantor Trust Overview: Focusing on Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts, National Business Institute, 2013
- Financial and Legal Considerations for LGBT and Same Sex Families in Light of the U.S. Supreme Court Decisions, MetLife Seminar, 2013
- Generosity and the IRS - Estate Planning and Charitable Planned Giving, IDEX and LCF, 2012
- Speaker, Latino Community Foundation San Francisco, 2012
- Japanese (Conversational)
- Basque (Conversational)