- Estate Planning
- Family Law
- Probate and Trust Administration
- Probate Litigation
- New College of California School of Law, San Francisco, California
- University of California, Berkeley, California
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law, California, 2017
Deb L. Kinney is a partner at Johnston, Kinney & Zulaica, LLP, a law firm providing comprehensive estate planning, trust administration, probate services and family law. The practice covers a broad spectrum of families providing foundational estate planning, wealth transfer, charitable planned giving, and non-citizen and international planning. The firm has an extensive probate and trust administration practice representing both beneficiaries and trustees. Johnston, Kinney and Zulaica LLP assists families with formation and dissolution issues and has a comprehensive elder law and special needs practice.
Deb has a B.A. from University of California at Berkeley, a J.D. from New College School of Law, is a member of the California State Bar Trusts and Estates Section, the Bar Association of San Francisco and the American Bar Association, amongst other organizations.
Deb has an extensive background in real estate having had her broker's license for over 20 years and was recently involved with the passage of a property tax bill protecting unrelated partners among other property tax bills. Deb sits on the board of The Tides Advocacy Fund the National LGBT Bar Association and was on the Boards of Horizons Foundation and Equality California for many years. Deb has been extensively involved and remains committed to advocacy for all people, and has worked tirelessly on behalf of the LGBT community regarding income, property and estate tax issues. Deb presents regularly on topics ranging from estate planning, elder issues, estate settlement, LGBT tax issues and planning creative ways to accomplish charitable planning. Deb has two daughters, age 20 and 30.
- California State Bar, Trust and Estates Section, Member
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National LGBT Bar Association, Board of Directors
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom
Classes & Seminars
- Presenter, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Equality California PAC, Board Member, 2009 to 2012
- Horizons Foundation, Board Member, 2004 to 2013
- Horizons Foundation Advisory Council, 2013 to Present
- Tides Advocacy Fund, Board Member, 2012 to Present
Fraternities or Sororities
- Alpha Phi