- Associate Attorney
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 2012
- Vassar College
- B.A. - 1993
- Stanford University
- Ph.D. - 2001
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.A. - 1995
Evan D. Winet is an Associate Attorney at Johnston, Kinney & Zulaica LLP, specializing in trust and estate litigation, including trust and will contests, accounting disputes, removal and surcharge actions, financial elder abuse litigation, reformation or modification actions, contested conservatorships and related appeals. Evan represents private clients, including both fiduciaries and beneficiaries, as well as charities, trusts and other entities. He has extensive experience in all phases of litigation in California civil and probate courts.
Evan earned a B.A. from Vassar College, an M.A. from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, and a Ph.D. from Stanford University, and then worked as a college professor for ten years. He received his law degree in 2012 from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. While in law school, he was a member of the International and Comparative Law Review, the Mediation Clinic, and the Alternative Dispute Resolution Team.
Before joining the Firm, Evan practiced as a trust and estate litigation attorney with Evans, Latham & Campisi, PC in San Francisco. In 2012, he worked as a judicial extern to the Honorable Donna M. Ryu, United States District Magistrate Judge for the Northern District of California. Evan is a member of the Trust and Estates Section of the State Bar of California and the Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco. He is admitted to practice before all federal and state courts within California.
Evan teaches Wills and Trusts at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He co-authors the widely used practice guide on California Trust and Probate Litigation for the Continuing Education for the Bar (CEB) and has co-edited a national resource on trust litigation remedies for the Litigation Sub-Committee of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC).
- California, 2013
- William J. Fullbright Senior Scholarship
- Australian National University/Henry Woe Foundation Scholarship
- Peroy Towne Fellowship (UC Hastings)
- California Bar Association, Present
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Present
- Edward J McFettridge Irnof Court, Member, 2014 to 2017
Speaking Engagements and Articles
- Co-Author, Cal. Trust and Probate Litigation (Cont. Ed. Bar, CEB), 2021
- Co-Editor & Co-Author, ACTEC Fiduciary Litigation Committee Fiduciary Remedy and Damages Survey (2018) American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), 2018
- Co-Author with Dominic J. Campisi and Jake Calvert, Undue Influence: The Gap Between Current Law and Scientific Approaches to Decision-Making and Persuasion, 43 ACTEC L.J. 359, 2018
- Author and Speaker, Estate Litigation: Challenges to the Validity of Trusts and Estates (Cont.Ed.Bar, CEB), 2016
Classes & Seminars
- Estate Litigation: Challenges to the Validity of Trusts and Estates, CEB, 2016
- Evans, Latham & Campisi, Associate Attorney, 2013 to 2017
- Wilson, Sonsiri, Goodrich and Rosati, Associate Attorney, 2011 to 2011